Marathon Recap

I’m going to write this in so much detail that it takes you as long to read it as it did for me to finish the marathon. Kidding! It’s event season still. .  ain’t nobody got time for that! So here goes:

Last Friday our office huddled in the conference room and ate snacks. . I mean made signs. . and my reading glasses ended up on the interweb.

sign making 2

Sign making group

And here are Deanne and I making signs for Team LUNGevity (so technically ourselves) because we’re really, really cool. . .

Sign making

Then I went to pick up my shirt and got stuck in traffic for roughly. . five-ever. . so I was late to meet Deanne at the movies (any of my friends that are reading this have probably fallen out of their chairs. . you read that right. . I was late to something, like for real late). But my shirt was pretty awesome. . .

Shirt back
I missed the first few minutes of Transcend, a movie about Wesley Korir but thankfully I got to see most of it and then we stuck around for the Q&A after which was hilarious. Turns out the Kenyans work so hard because they need the prize money to feed their families. In my case, the longer it takes me to run a marathon, the more places my family has time to stop at and eat and drink beer. Here we are with the movie/running star. . .

Movie Friday

Saturday morning I met Deanne and Frank (another Team LUNGevity runner) at the Runner’s World shake out run where we did an easy 2 miles and cheesed for the camera (there was a lot of that happening all weekend). It’s surprising that I’m smiling in this photo since I had been awake for 4 hours without coffee (more like a miracle).Shake out run


Shake out run with frank

Then we headed over to the expo and got our bibs, shirts and a bunch of other random stuff that is probably still in that huge clear gear check bag somewhere in my apartment. I posed immediately for Samantha’s must have photo with the alert level sign. . .

Alert flag

And then we posed in front of another sign. . .

Expo with Deanne
And then another sign for good measure. . .

Steve and I at expo

And then we wrote our names on the this huge thing that they take from the expo on Sunday and put along the route at Mile 24. . .

Signing the wall

And then right after this my body realized I hadn’t had coffee yet and I immediately left to go to the nearest Dunkin before someone got hurt.

Once I set up my coffee IV, I checked out the program and look who I found. . . Hey LUNGevity!

LUNGevity in program

During the afternoon we went over to Fleet Feet and I looked for marathon shirts and tried on visors because obviously they make me look cool.


One of the many things that stink about running a marathon is that if you are a small or medium (which surprisingly I am), you will not find a shirt in your size unless you are literally the first person in the store several days before the race. Otherwise all of shirts leftover are large and extra large because no one runs a marathon and then needs an extra large shirt. So instead I just held up a shirt that is too big for me but I’m basically wearing it. . right?

shirt at Fleet Feet

After Fleet Feet we went to Greek Town and carbo loaded and went out. No photographic evidence. . .probably for the best.

Sunday morning I woke up bright and early and ate my oatmeal while I waited for these guys to get in. . .

Dad, uncle joe and I pre marathon

Steve’s condo is a few blocks from the starting line which is awesome for me because then I don’t have to wake up at the crack of dawn and schlep over on the train and Deanne could come over and hang out before we headed over to the starting line.

Deanne and I pre-marathon

We left around 7:20am to walk over and went through security straight to the bathroom line and posed for a pre-marathon selfie before sprinting to the start corral just in time. . .

Starting with Deanne

Then around 8:21am we took off! My goal was to take each mile at a time and keep it between 10 and 10:30 and to have fun (ha). So every mile I reset the clock as if it would trick my body into thinking I was only doing one mile total (I’m so smart right). . .and it worked! I felt great and stayed on track through mile 18! Around mile 2 I saw my family and then in Lakeview I saw Meghan and since I was running and don’t have a photo of her cheering, I will instead post this embarrassing one of her. . .(thanks for cheering and making me root beer floats dingus)!



Then a couple miles later I saw Allison holding the sign she made . . .



Around mile 10 I saw girls from my Lululemon run group and then mile 13 I saw my family again. 14 was charity mile so I saw all of my co-workers and Steve cheering and naturally I wiped my sweat over everyone as we hugged. . .

TL Mile 14


Then around mile 15 I saw this face and could not have been happier. . .

Samantha Cheering


Samantha ran with me for a minute and told me I looked great which is clear from these photos. . not. . .



And then I was on my own. Miles 15 through 18 were fine and I rocked out to One Direction and kept telling myself I just had 1 mile to do over and over. Then around 19 my pace slowed a little bit but something wonderful happened. . . this 70 year old Asian man handed me a firecracker popsicle and made all of my problems instantly disappear. It wasn’t until mile 22 that I actually hit a wall and shit got real for about half of a mile (I’m allowed to swear once because I ran a marathon).

So last year I started feeling awful around mile 18 and it lasted basically until mile 25 when I was too delirious to realize what was going on anymore. This year I kept waiting to feel like crap and it didn’t happen until I passed the 22 mile marker and felt like I got hit by a semi. So I went through the water station and stopped for 30 seconds to stretch which was an awful idea because when you stop after running for 22 miles straight your body is like. . . okay, this was fun, I’m done. It took pretty much everything I had and then about 2 blocks but I started running again and hit the 23 mile marker and realized that this isn’t so bad and I only had 3 miles to go. After that it was smooth sailing (well the kind of smooth sailing when you feel like a 200 year old crippled man).

After I passed Mile 25 I saw my family and my dad cheering for me and then after that you really don’t remember anything between Michigan and 13th and the end when you cross the finish line and they start pushing you through the finishers chute.

Here’s my time (check out those splits). . .


Here’s a tip to anyone who is going to run a marathon. When they hand you a beer at the end, take it and then take another one (or 3 in my case). It helps. . .a lot.

Post marathon with beer

The trek back to meeting your friends and family is always the worst because you have to weave through all of the other runners but your legs and brain cannot communicate so when you try to stop walking. . .there’s a pretty good chance it won’t happen. But then I got to see my dad aka by biggest fan and we took photos on the street corner like normal families do. . .

Dad and I after

And this one. . .

Shelby, dad and I post marathon


And then this one (aren’t they cute?). . .

Dad, Uncle Joe and I after

And then as if there weren’t enough sweaty photos of my on the internet, here’s one more (wishing I had another beer). . .

Post Marathon

Steve and I once we finally made it back across Michigan and upstairs. . .

Steve and I after

Then after you pose for pictures and celebrate and everyone goes home, things start to get real. This is what recovery looks like. . .

Hot tub

Also, if anyone is wondering if their Apple headphones can withstand 20 minutes in a hot tub, the answer is yes. This year at least I wasn’t too sore to take my shoes and shirt off, so while it doesn’t look like it here. . I am winning.

Remember how lucky I was to be at Steve’s condo before the race? Well after the race it’s a whole different story because once you get in, you can’t cross back across Michigan until the race is over and surprisingly, I wasn’t the last runner so after I got back, drowned myself in the hot tub and showered, we still had to wait 30 more minutes and a nap until I could do this. . .


Big thank you to all of my family, friends (especially Steve) and co-workers who cheered, texted, called, donated and put up with me for the last few months! I’m not going to lie and say I couldn’t do it without you but it definitely would have sucked 😉

Monday we had off for Columbus day (phew) so Deanne and I went to breakfast in Old Town. . .

Deanne breakfast

And then we went over to Fleet Feet to get our medals engraved like the winners we are. . .

Medal engraving


And this is what happens when you run a marathon and then work from home. . .


In college I had a roommate (now one of my best friends) that used to write on her calendar “try to run” and then she would put on her workout clothes, go out the side door (we lived on a corner) and then run around the house and back into the front door and call it a day. I channeled my inner Katie and set my alarm for the next morning thinking I would see how I felt and maybe run. . . spoiler alert. . . I went back to bed.

try to run

Here we are at work standing. . . and also wearing the same shirts as we were on Monday (typical). . .

Deanne and I Tuesday

These are stairs (very creepy stairs in my building). . . and Wednesday I went down them without crying. So I guess it’s time to start running again (thankfully for everyone around me). I decided I’d go for a run after work but instead I went to Scooters for the first time and it was awesome.


So Thursday night Deanne and I went to Chick’s Night at Fleet Feet and did. . drum roll please. .  2 miles. It sounds pathetic because we just ran a marathon but Hal Higdon says to run 2 miles so it was good enough for me. Then we did something that I strongly encourage you not to do. .  we went grocery shopping when we were starving and my basket looked like this (the pear is just for show). . .


This weekend is the first in a really long time when I won’t be traveling for work, a wedding, celebrating a birthday or running a zillion miles at 6am so I plan on hanging out with my favorite brother (okay my only brother) who is home for the weekend, getting a massage (thanks Bev!), seeing Gone Girl, going to a pumpkin patch (aka donuts and  apple cider) and haunted house and then tailgating because now instead of destroying my joints I can go back to destroying my liver!

As far as running goes, I plan on doing the Thanksgiving Pie run in my hometown like we do every year and aside from that, just running for fun during normal hours. I am volunteering at the Pumpkin race on the 25th so you should sign up because I am an awesome cheerer!


5 thoughts on “Marathon Recap

  1. Congrats on your awesome run! Thank you for sharing your experiences with the run. My second marathon is tomorrow, and I hope it goes as well as yours did!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s